Rams divided, then conquer

Authors: DREW GONZALES

The concept of synergy suggests that a team working together is greater than its individuals competing alone. Despite this notion, CSU's indoor track team was able to compete at a high level in three different meets this weekend.

More than 20 Rams participated in the Holiday Inn Team Invitational in Boise, Idaho. Most of the remaining Rams were in Golden for the Colorado School of Mines Open, while senior Nicole Feest was the only Ram competing in the Washington Husky Classic.

Even though she was alone, Feest broke the school record in the 5,000-meter run. Her time was good enough for tenth place, but more importantly, Feest met a larger goal by provisionally qualifying for the NCAA Championships.

Meanwhile in Boise, junior Janay Deloach continued her dominant season, again claiming the top spot in both the 60-meter dash and the women's long jump. In her previous three meets, Deloach had three victories in the long jump competition and two more wins in the 60-meter dash.

Senior Jill McCormick also continued to dominate the field. In her first three meets, McCormick won the weight throw twice and finished a close second the other time. This weekend in Boise, she added two more victories to her resume with wins in the weight throw and shot put. McCormick out-threw the competition by more than a meter during the weight throw competition.

In the men's shot put, seniors Matt McKinney, Nate Heyrman and junior Trey Eder took first, second and third respectively. Eder also took first in the weight throw competition for the third time this season, with Heyrman not too far behind him in third place.

Juniors Drew Morano and Rob Watson also claimed victory for the Rams. Morano won the 400-meter dash, and Watson took first in the 3,000-meter run.

Rams dominated the mile run in both Boise and Golden. Freshman Chantelle Dron, junior Danielle Korb and freshman Kristen Hemphill took the top three spots in Boise. In Golden, sophomores Rebekah Yetzer, Ashlee Velez and Melissa Thomas accomplished the same first, second, third finish. Also winning the mile run in Golden was freshmen Jeff Wahl.

The meets in Boise and Golden were both non-scored events, but if they had been scored, the Rams could easily have won both meets with the number of first, second and third place finishes they earned.

This Friday the Rams will head north to Laramie, Wyo. where they will compete in the Robert Shine Invitational. Athletes yet to qualify for the NCAA Championships in Arkansas are running out of time because this week's meet is the last before the Mountain West Conference Championships.