Authors: Collegian Staff

Plenty of new faces graced the roster of the CSU softball team as they traveled to New Mexico over the weekend for six games, participating in the Hilton Las Cruces Classic.

The young team played well, ending with a 3-3 record in the tournament.

The first game on Thursday didn't fare well for the Rams as they were shutout by the New Mexico State Aggies, 4-0. CSU ace Jessica Strickland pitched six innings, giving up four runs. The Rams would later redeem themselves with a 7-4 victory on Sunday against the Aggies.

On Friday, freshman Kim Klabough starred in her debut from the mound, pitching all seven innings to a 7-3 victory against conference rival Utah. Later in the day, the Rams fell to Texas-San Antonio 12-2 in five innings.

One of the most exciting games of the entire weekend came when the Rams went into extra innings against Ohio State on Saturday afternoon. OSU senior Chelsea baker doubled in the winning run in the bottom of the eighth to end the game 8-7.

The Rams won both games Sunday to close the weekend. Portland State fell 5-1 as Klabough again shined for the Rams, giving up only one run in seven innings.

Next up on the schedule will be the Desert Classic, hosted in Las Vegas. It will feature such teams as Oregon, Oregon State, Central Michigan, Notre Dame and Cal Poly. The Classic will run Friday through Sunday.