Authors: Stacey Zynen

The Rams made history Wednesday night in Albuquerque, New Mexico, but probably not how they wanted too. In an 81-55 loss, the New Mexico Lobos handed the Rams their worst loss against a Mountain West Conference opponent in the school's history.

The Rams kept a close contest during only the first six minutes of game, leading with a score of 11-10. The Lobos sparked a 10-0 run to put them up by nine and kept a strong lead for the remainder of the quarter. By halftime they had built the lead to 19 with a score of 39-20.

Coming back into the game, the Lobos started out the second half with a 19-4 run to bring their lead to 36 points. Despite back and forth shots from both teams for the rest of the game, New Mexico would not let the Rams gain any ground.

The 81-55 loss was the result of the 50.9 percent shooting performance by the Lobos in comparison to the Rams' 35.2 percent from the floor. Colorado State was out rebounded 41-28 by the Lobos, who were the lowest offensive rebounding team in the MWC going into the game.

CSU was led by senior forward Melissa Dennett and junior guard Molly Nohr, who both contributed 12 points in the losing effort. Dennett made all of her points in the second half of the game. Senior captain Lindsay Thomas was close behind with 11 points while sophomore shooting guard Sara Hunter added 10.

Senior Vanessa Espinoza started for the first time since the Rams' game against Wyoming on Jan. 25 where she suffered from a minor concussion. She ended the game with two points, both from the free throw line.

The Rams will have a week to recuperate after this loss, as their next game isn't until next Wednesday in Moby Arena against the Utah Utes.

Standings

1 BYU 9-1 19-1

2 Utah 7-3 15-5

3 New Mexico 6-3 16-6

4 TCU 6-3 11-8

5 Wyoming 5-5 15-5

6 Air Force 3-7 5-6

7 Colorado State 2-7 8-12

8 San Diego State 0-10 3-16