Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

It was some of the sloppiest hockey of the season, but when time struck zero, CSU managed to come out on top both nights against the University of Denver this weekend.

Saturday night matched the Rams (15-3-2) and the Pioneers (12-6-1) against each other in Denver. The Rams fell behind early, trailing at intermission 3-2. But a four goal-second period gave CSU a 6-3 lead they would not relinquish, as they held on for a 7-5 victory.

Friday night's win in Fort Collins was also in come-from-behind fashion, as the Rams (15-3-2) erased a 2-1 third period deficit, by scoring two goals just sixteen seconds apart. After throwing in winger Nick Buffington's empty net goal at the end of regulation, the final tally came to 4-2 in the favor of the Rams.

"Overall it was a pretty sloppy game," said head coach Joe Sharrock.

Buffington led the Rams' offensive charge this weekend, netting three goals and adding four assists between the two games. Line mates Tim Stiller and Dale Dinnebeck also got in on the scoring, tallying one and two goals, respectively.

The successes of the weekend should all but ensure the Rams a ticket to Rochester, N.Y. for the nationals as the top two teams get a chance to bypass the regional that will be held in San Jose.

"We've beaten numbers one, three and four in the last two weeks, and we're number two," Sharrock said. "They would have to be [crazy] not to give us one of the top two spots after this."

Sophomore defenseman Jimmy Welte went down to his knees during Saturday's contest. His injury severity is still in question.

While the Rams' goalies couldn't repeat their shutout performances of last weekend, they played well enough to get the team the two wins.

"Minor didn't play his best, but he didn't get a lot of help either," Sharrock said.

On deck for the red hot Rams is the always anticipated rivalry with Colorado. The Buffs come into the game ranked No. 5 in the West, while CSU looks to finish their sweep of the top five in a three-week span.

Coming up:

Fri., CU EPIC 7:30

Sat., CU away 7:30