I read with interest the article on pot versus alcohol. What struck me was not the comparison between the two, but the similarities.

With recreational use, both can act as a mild respite from the world or can smooth out a social interaction. With long-term use, both can cause bodily harm and economic and social harm with medical costs.

They are also similar because they serve to fill a void. This void is the biological pleasure center, or metaphysically, the void caused by our search for true joy. We look around at a world that claims to fill us, yet we are only temporarily satisfied with our successes, the people around us and our circumstances. These things will always let us down. While most of us do not use drugs or alcohol as a primary means of filling that pleasure center, the college culture assumes that a significant amount of us do. Though a person may feel that rush or high, he or she pushes his or her body and mind further to decay. Therefore, if pot and alcohol only deliver a tainted source of joy, what should we look to?

C.S. Lewis said, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." The real issue is where our primary source of pleasure comes from. There is a real Creator we can look to to provide the means to fill it.

Katie Sutherland

senior

human development and family studies/pre-med