Authors: Ryan Skeels

In an attempt to spare readers the agony of reading another review of a horrendous movie I decided to nix "When a Stranger Calls" from my list of things to do this past weekend. I did, however, manage to fill the hole in my schedule with the six-Oscar Nominee, and the best thing George Clooney has ever been involved with. If "Good Night and Good Luck" doesn't manage to hold onto one of those cute little statues it's in the running for, a bit of disappointment will definitely be experienced by this moviegoer.

"Good Night and Good Luck" was first released into theatres in October of last year, but only held a spot on screen in Fort Collins for a very short time. Since its nominations however, the powers that be have decided to try their luck for another buck and brought it back into town.

Directed and co-written by Clooney, this intriguing tale centers on Edward R. Murrow, possibly the most world-renowned voice and face in media history, and his attempt to bring down Senator Joseph McCarthy and his nationwide hunt for "communists." David Strathairn, the infamous Henry from "Missing in America," takes the roll of Murrow. His nomination for Best Actor says it all as he seems to embody everything that Murrow was and stood for, from his quiet manner to his genuine hope for a peaceful and reasonable America.

It is extremely relieving to know that people in Hollywood care enough to create a movie that depicts times people of our generation never got to experience, and do it with such a seemingly accurate and un-biased approach. Everything from the cigarette television commercials, to the style in which the film was shot, to society's mentality about politics and the media as a whole give the impression that the reel was simply dug out of some attic above the CBS studios.

It may be hard for a movie like this to capitalize in the Oscars when the competing flicks hit so much closer to home than this one does. However, if people put their emotions and feelings aside and focus simply on filmmaking, then "Good Night and Good Luck" may very well put such monsters as "Munich" and "Brokeback Mountain" down for the count. Either way, a trip to the theatre to experience some history of a media-mogul in the works is definitely worth it.

5 out of 5 ramheads