Indoor track heads south

Authors: DREW GONZALES

In sports, a close competition – like the men's track team's loss last week by half a point to the University of Nebraska – can serve as motivation for a team. Friday and Saturday, a hungry Rams squad will travel to Colorado Springs to compete in the Air Force Invitational.

Schools like the University of Colorado, Air Force Academy, Brigham Young University and Fresno State University are also participating.

Historically, CSU has been very successful in this meet. Between 1997 and 2005, there was only one time the Rams didn't win this event.

Although the Rams came up short in Nebraska, athletes on the men's and women's side had great individual performances. CSU's standouts were juniors Janay Deloach and Drew Morano, each winning two events.

After a long holiday break, CSU indoor track athletes had little time to prepare for their first meet. Despite the short period for preparation, Coach Del Hessel is pleased with the entire team's performance so far in this short season.

"Our athletes kept themselves in great shape over the break," Hessel said. "They benefited from that in the first two meets."

Hessel's comments are not without merit; Janay Deloach broke the school record in the long jump in the first meet back from break. In the second week of the season, junior Kevin Johnson broke CSU's heptathlon record with a score of 5,185.

There has been plenty for the indoor track team to be happy about, but the Rams still have a lot to prove. Even athletes that have already met provisional qualifications for the NCAA Championships must continue working hard. Qualification marks can be set higher during the season.

The meets over the weekend will be all-day events.