Authors: Stacey Zynen

The 20th ranked BYU Cougars (17-1, 7-0 Mountain West Conference) dominated over the CSU women's basketball team Saturday at the Marriott Center in Provo, Utah, with a score of 70-54. The game dropped the Rams to 7-11 for the season and 1-6 in the Mountain West Conference.

Brigham Young jumped out to an early 5-0 lead in the first minutes of the game, and after keeping a close score, the Cougars took a 16-0 run in the last 10 minutes of the half, putting the Rams behind by 20 at half time. Despite a hard effort in the second half and a 15-6 CSU run in the final minutes, the Rams could not pull off the win.

Colorado State was held to a shooting season-low, making only 17-of-59 baskets for 28 percent, compared to BYU's 40 percent shooting performance from the floor, hitting 27-66.

CSU was led my sophomore Sara Hunter who scored a team-high of 15 points, all beyond the arc.

Other leading scorers were freshman forward Casie Shepard with 12 points and junior center Marilyn Moulton with eight, shooting 6-for-7 from the free throw line. Moulton also pulled down a game-high of eight rebounds. Junior Molly Nohr and senior captain Melissa Dennett both contributed six points in the losing effort.

As was much expected, the Cougars were led by center Dani Kubik and forward Ambrosia Anderson, who contributed a 15 and 14-point team-high for BYU. They were the only players to score in the double digits, followed by Mallary Gillespie who had a total of nine points.

Away games continue to be a struggle for the Rams as they fall 1-for-7 on the road but return home next week to play the Air Force Falcons in Moby.

Schedule

01-28-06

Provo, Utah

BYU

L, 70-54

02-02-06

Fort Collins, CO

Air Force

7 p.m.

02-04-06

San Diego, CA

San Diego State

3 p.m.

02-08-06

Albuquerque, NM

New Mexico State

7 p.m.