Authors: The Collegian Staff

The Patriot Act found itself at war with the academic community Wednesday, as a national group of professors joined a lawsuit against the "ideological exclusion" provision that the government used to revoke the visa of a progressive Muslim professor.

The American Association of University Professors (AAUP), which has a chapter at CSU, joined the suit saying the Patriot Act has violated their First Amendment right to "hear a full range of ideas" such as those of Professor Tariq Ramadan, according to a statement released by the organization.

The provision in question can be used against aliens who use "a position of prominence within any country to endorse or espouse terrorist activity," according to the statement. Those behind the lawsuit, including the AAUP and the American Civil Liberties Union, claim in the statement that Ramadan is an "outspoken opponent" of terrorist activities.

Ramadan, a Swiss national who was set to teach peace studies at the University of Notre Dame, was banned from coming to the country before he could begin his position in 2004. Time Magazine in 2000 had named Ramadan as one of the 100 "next wave" innovators expected to have the greatest influence on the 21st century for his view that Muslims should adjust to Western culture instead of perceiving themselves as permanent foreigners.

National and CSU officials for AAUP were unable to be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon.