Authors: Paul Baker

If you looked at the match-up on paper between CSU's men's basketball team and the Horned Frogs of TCU prior to Saturday night's game, the Rams looked like a good bet to win.

The Rams held the advantage in overall victories, but their road woes continued as they lost their 18th consecutive conference road game, 85-72. It was TCU's first MWC win in school history.

The Rams had another poor shooting performance, netting 25 of 64 shots from the field (39 percent), which lead to a second half deficit of 17. CSU pulled within six points on several occasions, but couldn't move any closer as TCU won and improved to 5-14 (1-4 MWC) on the season.

"We knew it was going to be tough to win here," head coach Dale Layer said in an interview with the Coloradoan. "We don't have confidence yet to win on the road."

CSU (12-6, 1-4) has now played four straight road games in which they have given their opponent a big second half lead before trying to stage a comeback.

Sophomore forward Jason Smith, who had 16 points and five rebounds in the loss led the Rams. Freshman guard Stephan Gilling had 11 points while junior forward Michael Harrison chipped in with 14 points and six rebounds.

"We didn't have enough fight," Layer said. "We got in a hole early."

Smith continued his good offensive production, as he is averaging over 16 points per game. He has now scored in double figures in 19 of his last 20 games, including the last 11 contests.

Freshman guard Chris Harris started the game in place of Corey Lewis, who was suspended for one game for a fight that occurred against UNLV, Jan. 18.

The Horned Frogs were led by Nile Murry, who had 24 points, including 11-of-12 from the free throw line. Brent Hackett and Chudi Chinweze had 15 and 14 points in the game, respectively.

The win was the second in the past 10 games for TCU and snapped a six-game losing streak.

The Rams now must regroup and prepare for the Border War battle against Wyoming.

Wyoming (10-8, 3-2 MWC) is coming off a mid-week loss at BYU. The game is set for 7 p.m. Wednesday night in Moby.

Starters Points Rebounds Assists

Jason Smith 16 5 1

Stuart Creason 6 6 2

Sean Morris 7 3 2

Micheal Morris 2 6 7

Chris Harris 0 2 1

Notables

Michael Harrison 14 6 1

Stephan Gilling 11 0 2