Rams stay on the road

Authors: Paul Baker

For the third time in four games, the Rams came up short in their attempt to come back from a big second half deficit.

CSU was down by as many as 12 points in the second half in the 68-57 setback Wednesday night to UNLV in Las Vegas.

Sophomore center Stuart Creason led the Rams in scoring with 13 points and five rebounds, while Jason Smith and Andrew Patterson each chipped in with 12 points. The Rams missed their guard leadership as junior Cory Lewis missed much of the game after being ejected for fighting.

The Rams had a real problem shooting the ball from the floor, as they only managed to shoot 33.9 percent for the game (19 of 56) as the Rebels held them to their lowest point total of the year. CSU turned the ball over 17 times during the contest which led to 23 UNLV points, where as the Rams only created 11 turnovers.

The Rams must now stay on the road as they travel to play TCU in Fort Worth, Texas for the first time since the 1999 season when the Rams were defeated 84-79.

""We have got to throw the first punch," said forward Freddy Robinson.

The Horned Frogs are currently 4-14 (0-4 MWC). So far this season TCU is 4-6 at home but have lost both conference games played at the Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

"They're talented. (Chudi) Chinweze is back and that just makes them a better team," said head coach Dale Layer. "They have struggled with confidence with a tough schedule and haven't had all their players."

TCU's offense is led by their frontcourt, consisting of senior Nile Murry and sophomore Brent Hackett. They are averaging 16.3 and 10.6 points per game, respectively. Senior Judson Stubbs rounds out the Horned Frog offense. The 6'7'' forward is the third player averaging double figures with 10.6 points per game and 6.7 rebounds.

"We got to come out and play our game and stop second guessing ourselves," said Robinson. "We have to play team defense."

The Rams look to get their first conference road win of the season. The game is set for 6 p.m. MT at the Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. After this game, the Rams will play six of their next eight games at Moby, where they are undefeated this season.

"We have to come out hungry, come out with a lot of passion and heart," said senior Andrew Patterson.