While stating his opposition to the teaching of faith-based origins in science classrooms, I think that Kyle Morse (in his Jan. 17 letter to the editor entitled "Religion Is Not Science") was somewhat confused as to what science really is, although he attempted to use the online encyclopedia Wikipedia to define it.

As the issue of teaching creationism in school science classes is in direct opposition to the more conventional (and widely taught) beliefs in evolution and origin theories such as the "Big Bang," I will infer that Mr. Morse views these beliefs as science, being that he made no indication that our schools should stop teaching them.

Mr. Morse states that those of us who "consider faith-based origin beliefs to be legitimate science fail to understand what science truly entails." Let me state here that creationism is not a science but an origin theory, much like the Big Bang theory. That being said, I think I should point out that Wikipedia defines both evolution and the "Big Bang" as theories.

Mr. Morse, would the "Big Bang" hold up to your model of "ideal science"? Let's see. Well, first of all, is it falsifiable or able to be proven wrong? No one was there, so probably not. Is it testable and reproducible? If you know someone who can recreate the "Big Bang" let me know and I'll get out of town. Does it require supernatural explanations? Well, what could have caused the "Big Bang"? And please don't tell me that you honestly believe that evolutionists are unbiased.

Next, I would like to address Mr. Morse's statement that "it is only the blind faith of its believers that keeps the defeated belief of creationism going." Mr. Morse, my faith is far from blind, as your faith in big bang "science" may be. And as far as being a "defeated belief," I think that the world's theistic majority would beg to differ.

Lastly Mr. Morse, why would we Christians put down our Bibles in favor of textbooks when, as you stated, the two matters are completely different (which by the way I disagree with, but those were your arguments)? I personally believe that my Bible contains at least as much truth as any of my textbooks. Maybe people who think like you should try picking up a Bible and reading it in addition to your textbooks. You'll probably find it a more interesting read.

Erik Yeager

sophomore

technical journalism