The girls are back in town

Authors: Stacey Zynen

The CSU women's basketball team will be back at home tonight in a match-up against the UNLV Rebels in Moby Arena.

The Rams (7-7, 1-2 MWC) have won the last five games against the Rebels at Moby and look to make it six in their fourth Mountain West Conference game of the season. The Rams defeated UNLV (10-4. 2-1 MWC) last season in an intense battle that wasn't decided until the last seconds of the game. The game ended in a win for the Rams by a score of 69-66.

"This team is a huge rebounding team. They have a tremendous defense," said head coach Jen Warden. "The key to this game is offensive execution. We have to be selective about the shots we take."

Seniors Melissa Dennett and Vanessa Espinoza look to hit their 1,000th career point mark this game to join Lindsay Thomas, who has reached 1,050 career points this season. Dennett needs only seven to surpass the landmark while Espinoza needs 38. As both players are expected to reach that milestone this season, it would be the first time in school history that three players would score their 1,000th point in the same season.

Along with their scoring capabilities, Dennett and Thomas have cleaned up the boards as well. They lead the MWC in combined rebounding, averaging 16.4 rebounds per game.

Senior guard Sheena Moore, averaging 13 points per game this season, will lead the Rebels into Moby. She is complemented by fellow teammate Sherry McCracklin, averaging 11.3 points per game and Faye Muller, who leads her team with 7.2 rebounds per game.

"We must contain penetration and get second shots. We'll have to be very careful," Warden said.

As a team, CSU averages 68.8 points per game this season compared to UNLV's 66.6. The Rebels will be looking to grab their first MWC game on the road after losing to BYU, 77-58 on Jan. 11.

The Rams will use their home advantage tonight at 7 p.m., where they are 6-2 on the season.

"It will be nice to be back home in Moby," Warden said. "This is going to be a tough game, but we're ready."