Rams head to Vegas

Authors: Trevor Edy

Just four days after ending their two-game losing streak, the CSU men's basketball team is hitting the court tonight. This time they will try to win their first conference game away from the friendly confines of Moby Arena as they travel to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

The Rams are coming off an 84-78 win over Utah in their first conference game at home. CSU is currently 0-2 in Mountain West Conference away games. They dropped their first at San Diego State and another at New Mexico two weeks ago.

CSU's opposition, the Runnin' Rebels, will present no easy task. UNLV is ranked No. 1 in the MWC in scoring, averaging 79 points per game. They will bring an 8-7 record (2-1 MWC) into theThomas and Mack Center tonight. The Rebels had a four-game winning streak snapped by San Diego State Saturday and look to get back on their feet against the visiting Rams. UNLV has won MWC games at Wyoming and at home against BYU.

"UNLV is a good team, and its tough every time we play there," said head coach Dale Layer.

Boulder native, Louis Armundson, averaging 14 points per game, leads the Rebels. He also averages more than nine rebounds per contest, while shooting 57 percent from the floor.

Armundson is the tallest player in the Rebels line-up and will most likely be going up against the Rams' 7-foot center Jason Smith.

Smith is leading the Rams in scoring with 16.9 per contest and is grabbing more than seven rebounds. The sophomore currently ranks second in the MWC in scoring and in the top five in rebounds and blocks.

"We're just trying to get the win in Las Vegas," said junior guard Corey Lewis after the 84-78 victory over the Utes last Saturday.

Lewis leads the team in steals with 24 but will have his hands full with UNLV junior guards Michael Umeh, averaging 12 points per game, and Jason Petrimoulx, averaging 10 points per contest and leading the team in assists with 53. Both guards lead the team with 25 3-pointers on the year.

A victory won't come easy for either team tonight. The Rams will look to avenge the 81-79 loss to UNLV last year in Fort Collins. The overall series record is at 21-7, in favor of UNLV.

The game can be heard on ESPN 920 AM radio or go to csurams.com for live updates.