Authors: Paul Baker

With a record of 5-3 over the month-long break, the Rams found that road games were a weakness.

The Rams traveled to one of the toughest places in the nation, "The Pit," as they took on New Mexico on Jan. 7.

The Rams found themselves down by as many as 15 in the second half, but came back and brought the game to within three, with the score 78-75. That was as close as they would come and the Rams found themselves at 0-2 in conference play.

CSU started Mountain West Conference play with a road trip to play the Aztecs of San Diego State University Jan. 4.

Against the preseason favorites to win the conference, the Rams put themselves in a 17-point hole in the second half before cutting the Aztec lead to one. But they couldn't get any closer than that as they lost 83-75.

Before the conference games, CSU's offense looked very strong. A blowout of Arkansas Tech by a score of 83-56 gave them their eighth straight home win. Two days earlier the Rams' most explosive offensive performance of the season helped defeat visiting UC-Colorado Springs 106-80.

The game marked the first time in nearly four full seasons that a CSU team had surpassed the century mark. The 106 points stands as the eighth highest point total in school history.

In the Rainbow Classic, which started Dec. 20, the Rams defeated Western Michigan and Hawaii but lost to Iowa State in the final round.

The Rams now must go back out onto the road after the home win against Utah. They must face UNLV and TCU before coming back home to face Wyoming in the Border War.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

/_/ Dec. 20 Western Michigan W, 87-89

/_/ Dec. 22 Hawaii W, 67-61

/_/ Dec. 23 Iowa State L, 87-80

/_/ Dec. 28 CU-Colorado Springs W, 106-80

/_/ Dec. 30 Arkansas Tech W, 83-56

/_/ Jan. 4 @ San Diego State L, 83-75

/_/ Jan. 7 @ New Mexico L, 83-75

/_/ Jan. 14 Utah W, 84-78

/_/ Jan. 18 @ UNLV 8:30 p.m.

/_/ Jan. 21 @ TCU 6 p.m.

/_/ Jan. 25 Wyoming 7 p.m.