Rams’ Road Woes

Authors: Stacey Zynen

The road has proven to be a struggle for the Rams who lost their second straight away game of the season to San Jose State over the weekend with a score of 78-66. Head coach Jen Warden, however, was convinced that the game only made the team better.

"I've always been impressed with our team and now I want them to be perfect. We have progressed every game and now we are seeking perfection," she said in a CSU press release.

Senior captains Lindsay Thomas, Melissa Dennett and Vanessa Espinoza contributed 49 combined points in the loss. Dennett ended with a team-high 24 points, followed by Thomas who added 13 points and a game-high of 12 rebounds. It was the 17th double-double of Thomas' career.

While the Rams' starting five put up solid performances, the bench players mostly struggled in their playing opportunities. The entire bench recorded only six points of the team's total.

Sophomore guard Sarah Hunter made two baskets from behind the three-point line, breaking her 0-15 streak for three-point attempts. She ended the game with eight points and three assists.

San Jose's lead forward, Lamisha Augustine proved to be the Rams' biggest challenge. Augustine put out a career-high 35 points for the Spartans, shooting five-for-five from beyond the three-point line, four-for-five from the free throw line and grabbing 11 rebounds.

"For someone with that kind of performance, you almost want to get a box of popcorn and sit in the stands to watch," said Warden of Augustine's performance.

Amber Jackson was San Jose's second leading scorer with 16 points and 10 rebounds, followed by Anetero Uiagalelei who added 12 points to their final score.

The Rams, now 4-3 for the season, will be back in Moby Arena on Dec. 18 to face the UNC Bears.