Authors: Stacey Zynen

The CSU women's basketball team will make their way to California this weekend for their second away game of the season to play the San Jose Spartans.

The Rams are coming off of a loss to DU in Denver on Wednesday, where they started the first of a pair of road games this week.

Head coach Jen Warden believes defense will be the key to victory in Saturday's game against the Spartans. She had the team practice defense for three consecutive hours on Thursday without taking one shot.

"We have been watching film from San Jose and they are more athletic in every position. We need to really perfect our defense, and today we improved our defensive gaps, our weak side and our zone trap," Warden said.

San Jose will be returning three starters from the 2004-05 season, when they had an overall record of 18-12. They will be looking to their forwards Lamisha Augustine and Amber Jackson, who have scored double digits for the Spartans in all six of their games this season, to lead the team.

This will be the seventh year for San Jose's head coach Janice Richard, who is looking for her fourth winning season.

"I have coached against Janice Richard three times while coaching in Idaho and I know her plays, her defense and her decisions in certain situations," Warden said. "She's a great coach. They will have a lot of new players, but they are also returning a few who will be the key to this game,"

Turnovers have also proven to be a deciding factor in whether or not the Rams will win.

"The two games we did not force the other team to have more than 20 turnovers are the two games we lost this season," Warden said.

The Rams will have a short practice today where they will go over their defense again before heading to California later this evening.

"My goal for this team is not to just perfect defense for this game, but to perfect it for the season." Warden said.

Tip-off is set for 3 p.m.