Authors: Katie Kelley

Performance Dates

Thursday: Dec. 8, 15, 22, 29, Jan. 5

7:30pm

Friday: Dec. 9, 16, 23, 30 Jan. 6

7:30pm

Saturday: Dec. 10, 17, Jan 7

7:30pm

Sunday: Dec. 11, 18 2:30pm

It was hard to escape the icy wind blowing across the Front Range last weekend but the Bas Bleu Theatre Company provided an opportunity to warm up while being blown away by the onstage performances of "Shadowlands."

Jonathan Farwell and Deb Note Farwell both delivered stunning performances Sunday at a showing of "Shadowlands." Farwell played C.S. Lewis, the famous children's books author who wrote favorites like the The Chronicles of Narnia, and Note Farwell performed as the American poet Joy Gresham.

"Shadowlands" is a compelling play written by William Nicholson, which emulates the complicated love relationship of Lewis and Gresham.

The play begins in Oxford during the 1950s with Lewis and his brother, Major Warnie Lewis, played by Morris Burns. The two men live the lives of bachelors undaunted by the changing roles of women in society.

However, the men's bachelor lifestyles are disrupted when Gresham and her son, Douglas, played by 14-year-old Adam Short, enter the Lewis brothers' lives.

Gresham confronts the men's thoughts about religion, love and life, challenging C.S. Lewis, also referred to as Jack.

Jack continually puts up with Gresham's opinionated nature although his bachelor friends find Gresham to be disagreeable and eventually Jack begins to fall in love with her. However, she is diagnosed with terminal bone cancer before Lewis can come to terms with his love for Gresham.

"I thought it was good," said Stephanie Kozar, a sophomore business and psychology major who saw the play Sunday for a class. "I was surprised – there was a lot of comedy."

The cast of this play delivered spectacular performances spicing it up with bits of comedy, romance and drama. Overall the play offers a little bit of everything for a wide-range of audience members to enjoy this show.

"It was a very strong play," said John Yost a junior speech communication major who also attended the Sunday's performance.

Yost was astounded by the background set of the performance, which used moveable walls to change each scene. The intimacy of the Bas Bleu Theatre offers audience members a chance to get up close and personal with the actors.

Shana Nelson, a sophomore biology major who attended the showing Sunday for a theater class enjoyed the play and felt that the theater itself was convincing because of its cozy size.

"It's almost like you're on the stage – you're right there," Nelson said.

The play is perfect for those theatre lovers looking for a challenging and compelling story filled with emotion and heart.

Five out of Five Ramheads