CSU reflects on Barnett

Authors: Trevor Edy

The wait is over for the University of Colorado and for college football. CU head football coach Gary Barnett was officially asked to step down by the university. It was confirmed in a press conference held Thursday night.

The announcement came just five days after a 70-3 loss to Texas, one of the worst losses the program has ever seen.

The resignation has an impact on CSU's campus, considering the two schools play each other every year, and are well-known rivals. CU began the 2005 season with a 31-28 win over the Rams, stealing the victory in the final minute of the game. But that doesn't mean that those at CSU are happy with the forced resignation.

"I hate it when it happens, I always feel sad. There are no winners in that situation," said CSU head coach Sonny Lubick.

The Buffaloes lost their last three games by a combined score of 130-22, ending the season 6-5. Although they lost the last three games, his resignation came after back-to-back Big 12 North titles.

"Colorado decided that they wanted to change coaches," Barnett's attorney John Rodman told ESPN on Thursday. Added Barnett in the press conference, "I did not resign."

CSU dealt with a similar situation last year with former women's basketball head coach Chris Denker.

Denker resigned for "personal reasons" last April after posting a 38-25 record in his two years of head coaching.

Sonny Lubick and Gary Barnett have battled on the gridiron seven times during Barnett's tenure at CU.

"I just feel bad for Gary and all of his staff, I have a lot of respect for him and his program…it is too bad that it had to come to this," Lubick said.

CSU players have even showed interest in the matter.

"(The university) has to do what they go to do," said sophomore running back Kyle Bell who rushed for 66 yards against the Buffs this year. "It's just the nature of college football."

Barnett was suspended in 2004 because of sex-scandal allegations. He began that season with a 27-24 win against CSU and ended the season 8-5 while under the spotlight for most of the season.

"It's a program that has been through a lot in the last couple years, and they will do what is right for the program," Bell said.