Authors: Tim Waddingham

As finals week approaches, many of us are hoping to get as many A's as we can. Considering we have had an entire semester to prepare, getting at least a few A's doesn't seem like too much to ask for. Unfortunately, preventing terrorism doesn't work the same, even though our government has had more than four years to prepare.

According to CNN, when the 9/11 Commission panel recently met, they gave "more F's than A's" to our government on grades measuring progress on security recommendations issued by the 9/11 Commission last year.

Former New Jersey governor and current Republican Thomas Kean said, "We're frustrated, all of us – frustrated at the lack of urgency in addressing these various problems" (cnn.com). Coming from a Republican, this screams credibility. If a Democrat said anything remotely similar, it would be cast off as a "liberal lie" or an "anti-American statement" from someone who doesn't support their country. But when a Republican says it, Bush, his administration and his blind followers have to face the truth: President Bush is the worst president in the history of the United States.

As if Bush didn't have enough terrible grades (metaphorically speaking) throughout his administration, he now has some literal grades to face. Some of the F's the 9/11 Commission panel recently gave our government include Homeland Security spending for most cities at risk, improving radio communication for emergency agencies and airline passenger prescreening (cnn.com). The only A given out, which was not even an A but an A-, was the administration's effort to limit terrorist financing (cnn.com).

So instead of protecting our most at-risk cities such as New York and Chicago, Bush decided to use that money in Iraq. In doing so, he has not only risked thousands of lives here in the United States, but he has also lost thousands of lives overseas – not to mention the rise in our national deficit and federal budget, which will be paid off by the next few generations. And for those of you who are still blinded by the Republican loyalty, the next few generations includes our children and us. Bush and the Republican Party continue to choose party over policy and fail to open their minds. When will you people realize how terrible Bush is?

Throughout this semester I have given countless examples of the excruciatingly pathetic ways in which Bush has led, or misled, our country. The war in Iraq, the deficit, the severe incompetence regarding counterterrorism, tax cuts during a time of war, appointments that have proven to be terrible (i.e. Mike Brown, FEMA), the Katrina disaster, as well as leaking the identity of an undercover CIA operative are just a few examples of Bush's abysmal failures. But we can't forget the Abu Ghraib prison scandal or the PATRIOT Act taking away many of our civil liberties, either. And now, as if we hadn't had enough, more terrible grades for his administration and the government that he pathetically tries to lead.

The F's recently given to our government regarding national security join the other F's Bush's administration have gotten, namely the environment. It's funny how Bush's college life compares to his presidential life in terms of his grades. I just hope he isn't doing cocaine in the White House, although you question where his state of mind is when making all of these enormously asinine decisions which only hurt America.

I know many of you will ignore what I say because I come off as a raging liberal. I also realize that I am probably angering many people, but I don't care. If you are too blind to see these painfully obvious detriments in the decisions and actions of our president and his administration, then it's time for a wake-up call. I'm sorry it had to be from an otherwise nice guy, but someone had to say it. The irony is that I am somewhat of a moderate who leans to the left; it's just that Bush is so terrible I come off an extreme leftist.

What our country needs are critical thinkers and open-mindedness, two things very foreign to any Bush supporter. I hope by reading this column you can at least begin to see the truth, although since I am not ignorant or stupid I realize people will still like Bush, even after all the wrong he has done and caused. Even though Bush's approval ratings are at an all-time low, I can't understand why anyone would still defend this guy or support his policies and/or decisions. I said it before, I'll say it again, and history will prove me right. President Bush is the worst president in the history of the United States.

Tim Waddingham is a senior double majoring in Political Science and Speech Communication. His column runs every Wednesday.