To the Editor:

Jenna Ellis' column in the Dec. 2 issue certainly presents the "party line" for the religious right. However, if one follows that particular line of belief one must conclude that gay people are "created" by almighty God in "His" image and likeness, etc. Is homosexuality simply a sinful "choice" or do people "come" with a certain sexual preference?

Every serious study of the subject says sexual preference is not a choice! While the attraction of being, say, a jewel thief is obvious and must be "resisted" as "sinful," there is no such evident attraction of homosexual behavior to a naturally heterosexual person. (Jenna, when did you choose?)

Does God make a "mistake" when "creating" gay people or does she/he intend it this way? Or does God just get in a bad mood and decide to pick on a particular piece of pre-contemplative protoplasm and make it gay? Is one of the great commandments to love one's neighbor as oneself and by inference not to take advantage of one's "neighbor" for simple lust and sexual gratification?

Then what is the problem with allowing a gay couple the benefit of committing to a lifetime of loving and caring one for another in the same way as my wife and I are privileged? Gay people are here and always have been! If God wanted it otherwise it would have been fixed by now. It's high time to be truly "Christian" about it and get over it!

Thomas J. Allen, MD

Ft. Collins/Loveland

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

As my graduation from CSU rapidly approaches, I feel compelled to share my feelings on the one constant companion to my college experience – The Rocky Mountain Collegian.

Oh Collegian, what has happened to you over these past four years? My previous feelings of awe and inspiration have been replaced with embarrassment and incredulity. Is it really possible that every good writer that had previously contributed to your hallowed pages has either quit or moved on to bigger and far superior sources of news? Now it seems that I can't go through one day without finding a glaring error, editing misstep or source of botched reporting.

And what of your previously enjoyable, witty and insightful opinion staff? It seems that even they have gone on to greener pastures, leaving several boring, pretentious and fundamentally unsound writers in their place.

If I had a dime for every time Ryan Chapman made me throw up a little in my mouth, I would start a fund to buy the Collegian a writing handbook that details the proper use of commas, semicolons and other grammatical wonders of standard English.

So, my fellow Rammies, I ask you to look beyond these dark times of shoddy journalism and remember the glory days of the Collegian – times that included better horoscopes and a far more colorful logo. After all, it can't get any worse. Can it?

Emily Moreland

Senior

English Education