Authors: Kate Dzintars

Sex is fun…unless it results in an STD or unwanted pregnancy. But when the only result is a toe-curling, spine-tingling, breath-taking orgasm – it's hard to beat.

Contraceptives allow people to live in the moment and enjoy sex without worrying about the consequences. That is not to say there are never consequences when contraceptives are used, but the risk is smaller and sex becomes an enjoyable pastime rather than just a biological process.

Traditionally, prophylactic companies catered specifically to males, perhaps the reasoning being that if the man is the one with the package, he should be the one to buy the wrapping paper.

The truth is, women should feel comfortable taking control of their sex lives, so kudos to Trojan condoms for creating a line of condoms and other sex products marketed specifically to women.

Boys and girls still grow up with a double standard. Men with multiple partners "got game," while women who do the same are considered sluts. It's not fair and we, as a society, need to lose this perception. As long as people are safe with their partners, they should be allowed to have sex at their leisure, without getting a bad reputation. I think a condom marketed to women could help dispel this stigma by increasing the number of safe sexual encounters.

It is my belief that most adults, especially the college demographic, want to have sex or are at least interested in it, but too many of them were raised with negative conceptions of it to freely discuss or partake in it. It is too bad, because this is potentially one of the most fun, sexy times of our lives.

Even Marilyn Monroe, one of the most prominent sex symbols in our country's history, struggled with accepting her sexuality. The December issue of Playboy publishes tape recordings she made for her psychologist in which she confessed to not even really liking sex, until her psychologist taught her it was OK to enjoy it.

If one of the biggest sex icons in history didn't feel comfortable with sex – a person who just radiated sexuality – how are regular women expected to? Maybe today's women who are scared or reluctant just need a little push; someone to tell them it is OK, even if that someone is a condom manufacturer.

Sure, most literature on the topic credits the release of "the pill" with starting the sexual revolution; for the first time, women could have sex without the threat of having to deal with an unwanted pregnancy. But, however revolutionary, the pill does not prevent STDs.

Women benefit from the use of condoms too, even if they don't wear them. It pleases me that such an iconic brand of condoms realizes this too. I hope other brands follow suit and release their own lines. A trip down the condom aisle will soon be a smorgasbord of sexual adventure, rather than just a quick stop, grabbing the first box you see and then proceeding to the check-out counter with your head down hoping you don't see anybody you know.

I'm not saying women should go out, buy the cute purple box and get it on with the next guy they see. All I'm saying is that if a woman wants to have sex, she should be encouraged to do so safely and not worry about what other people think.

Sex should not be a taboo. Women and men alike should be allowed to express their sexuality however they wish. Contraceptives specifically catered to women could open the doors of carnal pleasure to women who might have been too embarrassed to buy them before.

The struggle for sexual equality is far from over, but I say, viva la revolution.

Kate Dzintars is the associate managing editor for design and entertainment at the Collegian.