Authors: Natasha Grunden

As of 2005, more than 40 million people worldwide were living with Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS), according to the United Nations (UN), www.unaids.org.

In honor of World AIDS Day, a candlelight vigil will be held today from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Art Lounge, located next to the Sunken Lounge.

Created by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1988, World AIDS Day helps raise awareness of HIV/AIDS in local communities and around the world. Today, the WHO works in conjunction with the United Nations (UN). CSU has organized World AIDS Day events on campus for five years.

, "I hope to see an increase in visitors this year, as well as raise awareness about the AIDS epidemic," said Josh Gold, senior technical journalism major, who created the advertising for World AIDS Day.

The vigil is part of a day of events including a Red Ribbon Campaign and Day Without Art, when all the art in the LSC is covered with red paper.

Events earlier this week included a presentation of a documentary about the AIDS epidemic, "A Closer Walk" and a World AIDS Day craft night.

The events are sponsored in part by Hillel, Campus Activities, International Education, LSC Art Program, SLCE and Women's Resources with additional resources courtesy of the Northern Colorado AIDS Project.