Authors: Cari Merrill

As Native American Awareness Month draws to a close, students and community members still have the opportunity to experience Native American culture.

An exhibit featuring five contemporary Native American artists opens today in the Duhesa Lounge of the Lory Student Center.

The Duhesa Lounge has been home to the exhibit since the lounge's opening in 1986 and the exhibit has always taken a historical perspective. This year, however, the exhibit will focus on the work of living artists.

"Our goal in creating this exhibition for Colorado State is to demonstrate the vitality and diversity of artwork being created by Native American artists today," said Matthew Helmer, director of the Lory Student Center Arts Program. "Native American art is not something to be studied only in history books or through an examination of artifacts. There is much we can learn from living artists who celebrate cultural heritage through their current work."

The opening reception from 4 to 6 p.m. today will give students and other visitors the chance to talk with some of the featured artists as well as experience a performance by the Ram Nation Drum Group, according to a press release.

The exhibit is free, open to the public and will be on display through October 2006, creating the opportunity for more than just students to gander at the jewelry, basket weavings and sculptures.

"It gives the opportunity for a variety of groups to view the exhibition," said Mims Harris, former director of campus activities. "They have the opportunity to see contemporary Native American artists at work."