Trot along on Thanksgiving

Authors: Sarah Rawley

Thanksgiving: A time of family, feasting and lots of turkey. And maybe running.

With plenty of Turkey Trots in the community next week, there are plenty of opportunities to get out and get active during the week of traditional feasting.

"The best time to do local running races is on a holiday. People like to run and eat as much as they can on Thanksgiving, it's an excuse," said Wendy Mader, volunteer for the race and employee at the Fort Collins Club.

The Pederson Fort Collins Thanksgiving Day Run/Walk draws one of the biggest crowds in Colorado.

"I like this one because it's a lot of people and families. There are easily over 2,000 people and it's fun to watch the pros race," Mader said.

In its 12th consecutive year, this 4-mile run in downtown Fort Collins will have lots of festivities, including a Kid's Gobble Gobble Run.

Other popular events nearby are the NCMC Greeley Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day.

"These events are great because most people are off work and most people can participate. Usually they benefit the community as a fundraiser," Mader said.

Proceeds from this year's event will help fund cardiac rehab therapy for area patients.

Turkey Trots have grown in size these past few years. Even if you aren't planning on being in Fort Collins over the holidays, there are several Turkey Trots in neighboring communities.

"They have definitely grown in small towns because people have a newfound awareness for health and fitness," Mader said.

Other Turkey Trots on Thanksgiving Day include the CU Turkey Trot at the CU Research Park, Mile High United Way Turkey Trot at Washington Park in downtown Denver, and the Loveland Turkey Trot at the McKee Medical Clinic.

Although most of the events begin around 8 or 9 a.m., Austin Vigil, employee at Foot of the Rockies doesn't mind the early start.

"It's a good way to start the day, holidays always bring out the biggest crowds," Vigil said.

To register for any of these events, visit www.active.com.