To the Editor:

It is sweet of Jake Blumberg to take the side of the obese; however, obesity is far from a disease. Some have predispositions such as metabolic diseases and thyroid disorders that make weight loss difficult. This does not alter the fact that if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. This applies to everyone, including those unfortunate individuals afflicted with this "disease." A disease, I will mention, that was mysteriously absent in generations previous to our parents. No one will hesitate to tell a friend that smoking is not good for them; however, it is viewed as insensitive and offensive to let someone know they need to lose weight. Obesity-related diseases are quickly gaining ground on smoking as the leading cause of death in this country. Megan Shulz's article should not be viewed as an attack, and it is far from a "big, insensitive fat joke."

It is an in-your-face article, which addresses health and healthcare costs.

People are killing themselves everyday with the choices they make regarding their diet, and they are throwing away healthcare dollars because they can't reduce excess weight to a reasonable, healthy level.

Daniel Schneider

senior

health and exercise science

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Letters to the editor on Tuesday criticized Christians for calling people sinners and "pushing their beliefs" on others. People hate it when Christians tell them that they are sinners who need to repent and believe in Jesus (especially when that Christian also is a sinner). Why then do Christians continue to preach this message?

Because Jesus clearly taught that we are sinners (Matthew 7:11, Mark 7:21-23) who need to repent (Mark 1:15, Matthew 4:17). Because he clearly taught that only through belief in him can we be saved (John 14:6, 5:24, 6:47). He also commanded his followers to preach the same message of repentance and belief in him for the forgiveness of sins (Luke 24:46-49, Acts 1:7-9, Matthew 28:19-20). People are angered by this, saying that Jesus taught us to love each other. I agree. But it is because of love that this message should be preached.

Imagine two roads: one leads to certain death and the other is safe. Suppose my friend is driving on the dangerous road. Would I be considered a loving person if I chose not to tell my friend he was on a road to death, simply because he didn't want to hear it? Of course not.

Jesus taught that he is the only way to salvation, and proved it through his resurrection. Because I truly believe in Jesus and what he said, out of love for my neighbors, I am compelled to tell them that we are sinners in need of repentance, sinners who need to trust in Jesus for their salvation.

Joshua French

Graduate Student

Statistics