Rams bear cold weather

Authors: Trevor Edy

The Rams returned to the practice field Wednesday night with their upcoming game against UNLV in sight. CSU will be bowl eligible with a win this weekend in Las Vegas. Even though a bowl berth is near, the Rams are still looking at it as one game at a time.

"We know if we win then we have a good chance to go to a bowl, but it's more like, win this game first and then we will think about the bowl," said redshirt freshman Jeff Horinek.

CSU practiced in shoulder pads and sweatpants in the 35-degree weather.

"Practice wasn't as quite as crisp as we would have liked, but we just have to come out tomorrow and give it another shot," Horinek said following the two-hour workout.

The Rams enter Saturday's game at Sam Boyd Stadium at 5-5 overall and 4-3 in the MWC. With one more win, CSU will become bowl eligible for the 11th time in Sonny Lubick's 13 seasons.

CSU will look to lock up a bowl berth with the Poinsettia (San Diego) or Emerald Bowl (San Francisco), both having guaranteed ties to the MWC. They may also look to get an at-large invitation by the Fort Worth bowl.

Despite this being the last game of the regular season, head coach Sonny Lubick is still stressing that basics will win the game.

"We have to do the basics: blocking and tackling, our focus is to go out, play, and look sharp. We need to get back into a groove," Lubick said.

The Rams will also try and end their two-game losing streak against the Rebels, but it will not come easy against a balanced offensive attack.

"They have good guys, just like everyone else in the league," Horinek said.

Saturday's game begins at 2 p.m. It can be heard on the Colorado State Sports Network including flagship station KIIX (600 AM)

Injury Report:

Offensive lineman Mike Briesel is doubtful with a lower back contusion that occurred in last week's game. Freshman Klint Kubiak is also doubtful for Saturday's game with a hamstring injury. Redshirt freshman Mike Pagnotta (knee) and senior center Albert Bimper (hamstring) are both questionable for the last the regular season game.