Authors: Sarah Rawley

For those die-hard skiers and boarders who wince when the lifts shut down at 4 p.m., fear no more.

Keystone Resort is open for 36 hours of consecutive skiing and boarding this Friday starting at 9 a.m. through 9 p.m. on Saturday for their second annual "36 Hours of Keystone."

"It was a huge success [last year] and of course people love riding at 2 in the morning and then watch the sun come up," said Kate Osborn, communications coordinator for Keystone Resort.

The celebration and festivities are open to the public and registered teams, including a Punk Rock pancake breakfast, live bands, movie premiers, street parties and 36 hours of continuous riding.

"I think the continuous riding and skiing is the biggest appeal. Being able to go out for six hours take a break, then go for six more is ideal. I'm just stoked on all the riding," said Trevor Gamble, co-president of CSU Snowriders.

Skiers and riders can cruise the slopes during the "36 Hours of Keystone" just for fun, and die-hard mountain lovers who crave the burn can take part in the Team Challenge.

Teams of two, three and four people work to have one person per team complete one run every hour of the 36 hours. Those who accomplish the feat are entered in a drawing to win $3,600.

"You get everybody from college-age to parents to kids, it's a fantastic time for any age, any level, skiing and riding and watching the sun come up," Osborn said.

With an apres ski party in the village, Level One's "Shanghai Six" movie, and grand finale firework show, Keystone Village will be bustling dawn until dusk.

"I heard of it from guys who rode in it last year and they said, you gotta go. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time on the slopes at 2 a.m. with my officers," said Joel Vaughan, co-president of CSU Snowriders.

This second annual event is completely unique as Colorado's largest night operation.

"As what our research has shown, there has not been anybody who has done 36 hours straight. We already have one of the longest ski days, we are starting to think out of the box and do things never done before," Osborn said.

Celebrating 35 years of operations, Keystone is planning more events for the 2005-06 season including the Luna Chase snowshoe race Dec. 10, River Run Rail Jam Dec. 17, and one of the largest Mardi Gras parties in the Rockies.

Lodging deals start at $36 per person per night at the Inn at Keystone. Visit keystone36.com for more information, and www.active.com to register a team for the event.

Look out for these events and more at www.keystone.snow.com