Rams rolled at home

Authors: Nick Piburn

CSU vs SDSU Slideshow

The expected slow start the Rams have employed throughout the 2005 season allowed the San Diego State Aztecs to jump to a 20-3 halftime lead Saturday. The Rams could muster just 89 yards of total offense in the opening half. In front of an attendance of 25,411 CSU lost their first home game of the season 30-10 to SDSU.

The slow starts have been an issue the Rams (5-5 overall, 4-3 in the Mountain West) have tried to address, as evidence against the Aztecs (4-6, 3-4) nothing has worked.

Early personal fouls by the Rams allowed the Aztecs to keep a drive alive which led to the games opening score. The Aztecs went on to dominate the Rams throughout the rest of the first half.

///(The penalty) was big, I think we would have had them forth and 15, and all of a sudden they have first and ten and they///re in our territory, and they go on and score a touchdown, it hurts,/// said senior safety Travis Garcia. ///As a defense you can///t let that affect us all game, we have to come out next series and put another stop to it, but it hurt.///

The Rams defense was unable to get off the field in the second quarter. A 29-yard touchdown toss from sophomore quarterback Kevin O///Connell to senior receiver Jeff Webb seemed to take everything out of CSU.

Senior quarterback Justin Holland couldn///t figure out the strong wind swirling through Hughes Stadium. Holland was just 9 of 16 for 45 yards before halftime, while senior receiver David Anderson had just two catches for four yards.

The Rams came out in the third quarter riding sophomore running back Kyle Bell. Bell, along with a few Holland-to-Anderson connections, brought the Rams back to within 10 of the Aztecs.

But the Rams inconsistencies on offense made it too difficult to complete another second half comeback.

///We can///t depend on a comeback win every time,/// said senior tight end Matt Bartz. ///That///s just not the way football is played. We///ve had some real good things happen to us this year, some miraculous victories but I///d much rather win by four touchdowns going away.///

The Rams still have a shot to become bowl eligible with a win a UNLV Saturday.

Rushing                         No Yds TD Avg

Bell                               33 176 1 5.3

Hamilton (SDSU)            21 108 1 5.1

Passing Att-Cmp-Int       Yds        TD

Holland                        37-19-3  165 0

O///Connell (SDSU)      24-14-0  179 2

Receiving                       No Yds TD

Anderson                          8 88 0

Schilens (SDSU)               6 85 1

Last Week: CSU lost to SDSU 30-10 at Hughes Stadium

This Week: CSU at UNLV in Las Vegas