Four years of football

Authors: Scott Bondy

Here it is, my last football game as a student at CSU. Four years of tailgating, cheering and crowd push-ups come to an end this Saturday at Hughes Stadium. It will be a sad day for sure.

But thankfully the Rams have given me plenty. This year they are undefeated at home. I have left the stadium each Saturday with feelings of excitement and pride. I expect this weekend to be no different.

But for the Class of '06 there have been so many ups and downs. The high note was probably in 2002. A 10-4 final record (after the Liberty bowl loss to TCU) marked what would turn out to be a very memorable year. Wins against ranked teams Virginia and Colorado started things off right. My first CSU game was against Louisville. I didn't know any better and thought our stadium was incredible. It was on the side of a mountain; how could you beat that? The game ended up being a shootout, as the Rams withstood a late comeback and won 36-33. Those were the glory days with Bradley Van Pelt at the helm and Cecil "the Diesel" Sapp bowling defenders over. At one point that season, CSU sported a 10-2 record and were as high as No. 15 in the BCS.

The highlight of the '03 season was a notable loss. Miami of Ohio came to town with their star quarterback, "Big" Ben (Roethlisberger). He took over the field en route to 330 passing yards and two touchdowns. Everyone knew he was good, but not this good.

Last year was a bit disappointing. It started with a heartbreaking loss to CU, (the second one in as many years), and ended with a disastrous 47-17 shellacking from Air Force. No bowl game for Sonny and the guys.

But I have yet to see my Rams loss this year at home. In fact, since I've been at CSU their record at Hughes is 15-5. I'll take it.

Here we go for the final game of the year. Hopefully, it's another packed house in the student section.

Seniors, enjoy it, unfortunately after this game, you'll be seeing Ram games from a different perspective – on the West end.