Authors: Katie Kelley

Book Signing for "Unforscene"

Lory Student Center Bookstore

Wednesday, Nov. 16 @ 5 p.m.

While the world winds down and people begin to settle into a blissful slumber shaking off a long day of work, Nick Pirog warms up the coffee, turns on the radio and settles in for a hard day's night

Pirog is an aspiring young author who spends every night of the week from midnight until 5 or 6 a.m. working on cultivating his creative craft known as the written word.

With already one published book under his belt, at the young age of 24, Pirog continues to write – beginning his next book titled "Summer Reading List."

Pirog began writing seriously only a few years ago after graduating from CSU with a degree in business.

"I became a business major, a cookie-cutter business major, for some reason unbeknownst to me," Pirog said. "I still don't know why I chose that path."

However, his dream of becoming a writer began when he was only a pre-teen.

"I probably knew when I was about 14, I used to read a book a day when I was little. I still try and read a book about every three days."

Pirog ventured off the path to becoming a writer and entered into business school where his daily life began to taunt his true goals of publishing a book.

"I was a kind of lost soul at the end of high school and college just because I was basically getting a degree in something I would never use," Pirog said. "And I was just delaying becoming a writer."

After graduating in 2003, Pirog began writing "Unforscene," which took approximately eight months to complete; a year total including the time he spent obtaining an agent and sending the book to the printers.

"Unforscene" is the tale of a vindictive murderer who preys on unsuspecting women and contemptuously vexes the Bangor Police Department in Maine. The book begins on the one-year anniversary of the eight women killed.

Thomas Prescott, a spunky detective hired by the FBI as a special contract agent, headed the investigation of the murders. The case was considered closed after the murderer's dead body was found following a fight with Prescott.

However, on the one-year anniversary, the murdering spree begins all over again and this time it appears the murderer wants revenge by choosing victims that have special relationships to Prescott.

This murder mystery, while not for the faint of heart, leads the reader through a gruesome array of twists and turns that are literally unforeseen until the very end.

Writing "Unforscene" was one of Pirog's hardest feats where he overcame many obstacles and learned more about himself than he ever thought possible.

"Those two years from 22 to 24 I aged about 25 years," Pirog said.

He learned the intricacies of what he considers a "cutthroat" business. After completing "Unforscene" Pirog began to write query letters to obtain an agent and a publisher for his book, which was when times got tough for this young author.

"The rejection letters start coming in droves of hundreds and thousands," Pirog joked. "I'm pretty sure I could wallpaper a room with rejection letters."

Pirog eventually found an agent, but was yet again hitting bumps in the road to his dream of becoming published.

"My agent was not able to sell my manuscript," Pirog said.

He found a publishing company that seemed to be made for the struggling authors trying to break into this business.

"I actually had to pay them $800 to make my book – it's a one time fee," Pirog said. "I still own the rights to the book, that's probably the most important part."

These days Pirog finds the struggles still exist, but they at least are beginning to leave him with a paycheck thanks to his family and his coworkers at Carrabba's Italian Grill, where he works from approximately 5 to 10 p.m.

"As a waiter I usually sell 3 books a night to people," Pirog said. "Most of the time my managers swing by my tables and tell them [customers] that I'm this starving artist."

Pirog is finally reaping the benefits of this long-awaited process.

"I published it in June and its just now starting to snowball," Pirog said.

Pirog never went to school to learn how to write, but it seems his passion for writing and his parents, particularly his mom, have fostered his ability to what it is today.

"My mom has a great respect for the written word; she's the one that turned me on to writing basically," Pirog explained. "She has always loved to read and I think she was force feeding me novels at a very young age but she always fostered my creative side."

When "Unforscene" was published, Pirog was to blow his mom and dad away with the "culmination of the craft from start to finish." He feels that his father who was a one-time skeptic has now come to be a true fan.

"It's starting to dawn on him that I have a God-given talent for this and I'm not going to waste it."

Pirog will continue to write and work on his next novel without the aid of schooling because he feels that his abilities have not only been cultivated by the inspiration of his mom, but also by the inspiration he finds each time he opens a new book.

"I think writing is something that you can't really be taught. Reading a book is taking a lesson," Pirog said. "I'm taking Grisham 101 every night."

Pirog has an upcoming book signing at the Lory Student Center Bookstore and after that, it seems for this young author that only time will tell what becomes of his love of writing.

"I've kind of hit my threshold of subservience; I'm sort of tired of being poor," Pirog said. "I plan on waiting tables until I get my big break."