Authors: Stacey Zynen

The Lady Rams basketball team will open the 2005-06 season with an exhibition game against Fort Hays State tonight at Moby Arena.

This will be their first game under new head coach Jen Warden who came back to her home state of Colorado after coaching at Boise State in Idaho for three years. The team was previously lead by Chris Denker who was head coach for three seasons, ending last year with a 15-13 season record.

Warden has set high goals for both herself and the team.

"I want to help the girls find a way to be the best team we can be. I want us to max out our talent, starting with this game," she said.

Fort Hays wrapped up their 2004-05 season with a 22-8 overall record, placing third in the east division at the NCAA Division-II level. They will be returning four starters from last season.

Coach Warden is counting on the exhibition game to be a snap shot into the future of the season.

"The game against Fort Hays will be all about learning. We're going to learn and grow because that's what we're all about," she said.

The Lady Rams will be led by seniors Vanessa Espinoza, Melissa Dennett and Lindsay Thomas, all returning as starters for the third season in a row.

"I'm expecting a lot from the three seniors, but also I think our staff and team want to do everything we can for them. We want to fulfill their expectations," Warden said.

Tip-off is at 7 p.m. tonight at Moby Arena.