Authors: Nick Piburn

Sometimes a tough loss will bring a coach and a team down, but that wasn't head coach Sonny Lubick's sentiments Monday at his weekly press conference Monday. After losing 33-6 to TCU Saturday, and losing a chance at a Mountain West Conference championship, the Rams still have something to play for.

"I hope that we can win another game or two so that (the seniors) can have another chance to win a bowl game," Lubick said. "So we do have a lot to play for still; this time of the year teams either get better or worse."

There are many possibilities for the Rams as far as making a bowl. If the Rams win just one more game, they will be bowl eligible. But Lubick knows winning each of the final two contests would be huge.

"I would think two (wins) would be what we would have to do to get to a bowl game, that's the way I look at it anyway," Lubick said. "That's what we will try to sell to our football team."

The Rams' remaining two games are against teams at the bottom of the conference, at home versus SDSU (3-6 overall, 2-4 in the MWC) and at UNLV (2-7, 1-5). The Rams still have a major worry though. A team that has nothing to lose is always a tough team to prepare for.

"Usually a team that has the most to play for can go out there and really make a resolve that we're going to get things done," Lubick said. "On the other hand sometimes the dangerous teams are those who are relaxed, and say 'lets go finish out the season'; they throw caution to the wind. And if they have enough talent to do that then they're a really dangerous team."

SDSU proved they're a dangerous team when they beat BYU 31-10 at home, and almost knocked off TCU, losing 23-20. Those are the two teams CSU has lost to in conference play, but both of those games were on the road for the Rams.

"(SDSU) is a team that it's not like they don't have a chance, it's a team that can beat darn near anyone," Lubick said. "We're going to have to play very, very well and hope that they come to town thinking they don't have much to play for; but that's not going to be the case."

The Rams will face the Aztecs Saturday in the final home football game of the year at Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium. Kick off is set for 1 p.m. Student tickets for the contest can be picked at the Lory Student Center or at the McGraw Center.