Authors: James Baetke

A university employee charged with embezzlement allegedly stole most of the cash she was entrusted with and used it to buy items for herself, including a cappuccino machine, according to a recently unsealed police document.

According to the CSU Police Department, Reva Jeanette Miles, 55, stole about $17,000 over a three-year period while working at the University Counseling Center. She is accused of pocketing most cash deposits and depositing checks into the bank.

A counseling center employee became suspicious in July 2002 and began to create an internal spreadsheet tracking deposit transactions made mostly by Miles. In May, a university audit conducted by Brian Grube, bursar and cash manager for CSU, concluded there were inconsistencies in counseling center deposits.

In the incident report written by officer Eric Lintz with CSUPD, Grube told Lintz that nearly all of the $58,000 worth of checks deposited over three recorded years was accounted for, but the $27,000 in cash deposits were missing. She is also suspected of using a university credit card to make personal purchases.

Miles is officially charged with one count each of theft, embezzlement of public property and unauthorized use of a transaction device.

Police grew suspicious of Miles during her first interview in June when during questioning she told police details of the investigation she should not have known. She said that only cash was missing, not checks.

"I thought this comment by Miles was suspicious because we had not told her that cash was not being deposited," Lintz wrote in the report.

Soon after her first interview with police, Miles turned over a cash box containing nearly $8,000 during a meeting with Charles Davidshofer, director of the UCC. Miles said the money was used for "office supplies, salaries and various office items," according to the report.

Grube's audit concluded that a petty cash system had not been approved by the university.

Several counseling center employees interviewed by police expressed suspicions that Miles was taking money from the university. The individual who produced the spreadsheets that ultimately led to Miles' arrest on Sept. 2, said she was emotionally and physically afraid for her job, according to the police document.

Miles told Lintz she was not guilty of the accusations and would take polygraph to prove her defense.

"I feel like I've done something incredibly stupid, not illegal," Miles told Lintz.

On Monday, Miles appeared in Larimer County District Court and was granted four more weeks to develop her defense in lieu of 2,000 pages of evidence submitted by the district attorney's office, consisting mostly of CSU financial records from and bank documents.

On their way out from court Monday, neither Miles nor her lawyer would comment to the Collegian.

Those who are close to the case are remaining tight-lipped.

Counseling center employees, including the director and the employee who spurred the Miles investigation, declined to comment Monday diverting all media to university spokesman Brad Bohlander.

Bohlander said he could not immediately answer any questions concerning Miles – including whether she remains an employee – nor would he make any general comments concerning university employees stealing from CSU.