Honor our troops

I was taken back by an article published in the Nov. 1 edition of the Rocky Mountain Collegian. The article titled, "Seven U.S. troops die in deadliest month since January" featured a photograph of a Humvee that was destroyed by a series of homemade bombs, killing the driver and injuring four others on Oct. 4th. The article hit me hard because I lost my cousin, Jeremiah W. Robinson, in a strikingly similar incident two days later on Oct. 6th, 2005. Jeremiah was driving a Humvee when an explosive devise was detonated during a convey operation, he died and three other passengers were injured.

I am so saddened by every life that is lost in the war in Iraq. I am saddened to lose true American patriots like Jeremiah, and I am saddened by the Iraqi civilians who perish in the crossfire. Like many young college students, the war is hard for me to grasp and understand. I am left speechless by Jeremiah's death. I find myself searching for answers to the reasons that he died. My cousin, on the other hand, did not question his presence in Iraq.

Jeremiah Robinson of Mesa, Ariz. was 20 years old when he died. Jeremiah had a love for his country, family, friends and God. He was wise beyond his years and had a huge heart. My cousin visited Colorado every year. Jeremiah had made plans to take a trip out here with his father to go fishing upon his return from Iraq.

Jeremiah was in Iraq because, in his heart, he was fighting for us. By "us" I mean every single student on this campus. He was in Iraq so we can get up, go to campus, receive an education, speak freely about our beliefs and feel secure about the future of our country. That is why Jeremiah was in Iraq. That is what he died for.

I know that not everyone who reads this can be as sure about the war as Jeremiah was; that is OK. I'm not sure myself. I ask that before you judge those who are in Iraq and make outlandish statements, the kind of statements I hear daily walking through campus that you stop and think about the sacrifice that servicemen, like my cousin, are making.

Regardless of the war in Iraq, regardless of politics, regardless of left and right, I am proud of Jeremiah Robinson. I am proud that he was my cousin. I love him and honor him. I am proud of and honor every single person that has been, is or is going to Iraq. I pray, hope and plead that we get them home soon, where they belong.

Kristi Ehle

senior

history