To the Editor:

Friday's Collegian article covering the new Centerra strip mall in Loveland showcases exactly what is wrong with Colorado's Front Range. Local city officials and out of state developers team up to pave the shrinking landscape with no regard to long term environmental, aesthetic and economic impact.

It is unspeakable how nearsighted and irresponsible both the developer and Loveland city officials are acting by building such an immense concrete monolith.

This new strip mall, along with the other new housing and commercial developments in the area, highlight the sad, obvious lack of concern for the long term detrimental effects they inevitably cause:

overcrowding, exhaustion of water supplies and the curse of future generations who can never see the land as it once was.

Jim Stobie

senior, music

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

What happens when you take a police department comparative in size to a small city's and concentrate it to an area less than 10 square miles? What happens if you take some of that police department's responsibilities such as issuing parking tickets and give it to students? What if you chop the workload of these officers and hand it over to trainees to act as bike police and nightly foot patrolmen? What if these trainees are, on the most part, younger than half the students that attend this university? What if you give this police department sheriff-like jurisdiction, allowing them to potentially arrest someone throughout the county? You get a very bored, inexperienced and power happy police force.

The CSU Police Department, in my book, ranks one peg above rental security at Wal-Mart. They are actual police officers, but look at the things they nail us for, such as going 21 in a 20-mph zone.

I am one of thousands of students who bike to school everyday. I stop at stop signs, signal when I turn and obey, on the most part, the dismount zones. But I bike to school in very hostile environment where your average driver does not look out for bikers. I bike with my safety first, sometimes requiring me to bike on the "wrong" side of the road, or ride down a one-way street to avoid a stop sign where I was knocked off my bike in a hit-and-run.

I watch my back these days for the wrong reasons. I get busted by young bike cops who carry a plastic, sewn-on badge, for pointless infractions that would be laughed at by any Fort Collins Police Services officer. I am forced to pay a $5 fee to place a number on my bike in case of theft. Don't tell me this fee is for bike signs and lane maintenance; we don't register pedestrians and make them pay a sidewalk maintenance fee.

When ticketed I get two bike cops and a squad car coming to write me a citation. It's time bikers are given the respect we deserve. If none of us rode to school, think about the money required to build additional parking structures this morbidly under-funded university would be required to fork over.

How about we give some of CSUPD's babysitting fund to FCPS to bust Meth labs and solve rape cases. Better yet let's turn that money into a crosswalk at Springfield Drive and Shields Street where bikers are forced to wait in the yellow lane just to cross the street. There are serious safety issues CSU needs to address before someone gets killed.

Parker Coombs

junior

forestry

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This morning we were embarrassed.

Embarrassed of where we came from and where the Collegian is going.

Your decision to put Our View as the lead story on Monday morning, the day before Colorado votes on Referendums C and D, was a little stupid.

Sure, we've been there; we were Collegian editors once.

Budget meetings are fun. It's all fun and games – until someone puts an editorial above the fold on page one.

This is not to assume your readers can't differentiate news from opinion, but some of them don't, and you're misleading them.

Opinions, especially Our View opinions, belong on the opinion page (page four last time we checked). We understand the Collegian is a college paper, and you're ready to push the envelope whenever possible – we did it too.

But when it comes to what you, as an editorial staff, think of an issue, it's always better to keep it on the opinion page.

Let the sources and experts speak, your only job is to make sure the stories are balanced. The readers should form their own opinion; you should not be supplying them with one on the front page.

Shout out to Mr. Bennett and the rest of the Collegian editorial class of Fall 2004

Respect That.

Taylour Nelson and Adrienne Hoenig

CSU Alumnae 2004