Authors: Nick Piburn

Last Week CSU beat UNM 35-25 in Albuquerque

This Week CSU at TCU Saturday in Fort Worth 5 p.m.

Next Week CSU vs. SDSU Saturday Nov. 12

What seemed to be another sloppy game played on the road turned into a comeback for the record books. CSU, (5-3 overall, 4-1 in the Mountain West) with their 35-25 road victory over UNM (5-4, 3-3) was the team's first road win of the season, as well as head coach Sonny Lubick's 100th career victory.

After spotting New Mexico a 25-12 halftime lead, and giving up more than 300 yards of total offense in the first half, the Rams dominated the second half.

Something transformed the Rams defense at halftime as they allowed less than 100 total yards in the second half, including not surrendering a single first down to the Lobos throughout the entire fourth quarter.

"Well, that was one valiant effort there," Lubick told the Rocky Mountain News. "At halftime, we talked about how we're not out of this. We needed to prove we could play, even though it didn't look like it early on."

The Rams have been outscored 27-3 in the first quarter of their last four games. While the slow starts aren't healthy for Ram fans, they don't faze the players much since the team is 3-1 in those four games.

"It's almost like we spend the first quarter just feeling a team out and figuring out what we're doing," sophomore running back Kyle Bell said to the Rocky Mountain News. "But we knew at halftime we could get it going."

The Rams were able to move the ball in the first half, but the problem was trying to stop Lobo senior running back DonTrell Moore, who had more than 100 yards of total offense in the first half. Moore's 117-yard rushing effort gave him his fourth consecutive 1,000-yard season. He is only the sixth player in NCAA history to run for 1,000 yards in all four seasons.

The Rams continued to move the ball in the second half behind the three-headed monster of Bell, senior quarterback Justin Holland and senior wide receiver David Anderson.

When a big play was needed, Holland looked no higher than the amazing 5'10'' Anderson to come through. Anderson did more than come through; he broke records. With his eight catch, 129-yard performance, Anderson passed Greg Primus to become CSU's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards. He also added two touchdowns in the game.

Anderson and Holland hooked up on a 15-yard touchdown pitch and catch to give the Rams a 7-point lead late in the fourth quarter. While there are many story lines involved with this Ram victory, the most significant is that the Rams are still alive for the conference championship.

With this win the Rams remain in second place in the MWC, just one game behind TCU, who happens to be the Rams' next opponent.

"This was a great win," senior linebacker Courtney Jones told the Coloradoan. "Now we've got a chance to play TCU for the championship. All of our dreams are in front of us. We just need to play the rest of the season the way we did in the second half."

The winner of that game will be in the driver's seat for the MWC championship.