Andreas Klein Visits CSU

Authors: Julia Carioti

For students interested in music, specifically classical piano, the CSU Department of Music put on a masterful show at the new Edna Rizley Griffin Concert Hall Sunday. The show featured a beautiful presentation by world-renowned pianist Andreas Klein in a performance entitled "Pictures and Visions."

The New York Times calls Klein "a fascinating artist with all the indispensable qualities: touch, tone, temperament, taste – the four T's of pianism," and according to the Washington Post, "Klein resembled a sketch artist bringing a scene to life with quick virtuoso strokes and shading…"

For students at CSU, Klein is a welcome performer who took time from his national tour to stop by and give a powerful performance. In addition, Klein taught a Masters class the following morning where he listened to and tutored three pre-chosen music students in front of an audience.

"Klein was invited as a part of our Guest Artist Recital Series, through the Music Department," explained Janet Landreth (CQ)cm, coordinator of Keyboard Area Studies and associate professor of music for CSU. Landreth played a major role in setting up the performance and is pleased with how the event went.

"The show wasn't as busy as it should have been, there were a lot of other events that same night," Landreth said.

The CSU box office reported 132 tickets sold pre-show, and another 30 or 40 unrecorded tickets bought with cash at the door.

"He is such a wonderful artist and put on a great performance. He also did a great (Masters) class," Landreth said.

German-born Klein is most recently known for his crystalline Mozart interpretations, which he played as a soloist with the renowned Lucerne Festival Strings. "Pictures and Visions" however featured other works by artists such as Chopin, Prokofiev and Debussy. His finale was a beautiful revisal of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition," and for an encore, Klein played one of his Mozart sonatas.

In addition to the performance, students benefited from the Masters class he enthusiastically taught Monday morning. Before an audience estimated at 50 or 60 people, Klein listened to three students play their best piano pieces. Then Klein critiqued their work and gave pointers based on his own musical success.

"(Klein) was very helpful, very insightful," said Aaron Clarke (CQ)cm, a junior majoring in Music Performance with an emphasis in piano. Clarke has played piano for 12 years and was the only undergraduate among the three students that played for Klein.

"(Klein) made it so the class was very much tailored for the performer and not just the audience, everything he said was directed at me and if the audience picked something up out of it, that's great too," Clarke said. "He gave a lot of suggestions, and gave me the green light to play as loud as I want. It was a very positive experience and I'm thankful to have been a part of it."

"Klein is a very seasoned, polished performer," Landreth said. "He did a terrific program and was a wonderful guest to have on campus, personally and professionally."