Intensity picks up Tuesday

Authors: Nick Piburn

The spider pads went off and the real pads were on Tuesday as the Rams went through their longest practice of the week in preparation for Friday's 6 p.m. game in Albuquerque, N.M. against the University of New Mexico.

The Rams went through a two hour practice that ended up going at least a session longer than anticipated. The team went through everything from individual drills to special team work to scout for the Lobos.

During the special teams drills, where they simulate game-like situations involving field goals, struggling place kicker senior Kevin Mark shared time with freshman Jason Smith.

The Rams practice was useful for them since they will have a shorter walk through on Thursday.

"We're probably up to 55-60 percent (of scout work for UNM)," said head coach Sonny Lubick. "By tomorrow we'll knock it up to 85 percent. If we get a little done Thursday we'll be in good shape. We'll probably get almost as much practice as we would for a Saturday game."

With this short week it has been obvious through the first two practices that the coaches are trying to have more of a fast paced practice.

The scout work on defense has centered around UNM senior running back DonTrell Moore. Moore has torched the Rams in the past and with the Rams struggling to defend the run, it will be interesting to see how the Rams contain Moore.

The Rams will be back out at the practice fields today for another full pad session.