Rams hockey hits the ice

Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

Next Ram Home Game @ Edora Pool Ice Center:

Nov. 4 v. Metro State

It's a good time to be a Ram fan. It's a great time to be a Rams hockey fan.

CSU defeated the struggling Utah State Aggies in dominating fashion Saturday night 7-3. The victory adds to an already impressive season and two week span in which the Rams are 4-0, having knocked off BYU, Weber State, and Utah State twice.

"We had a good road trip," said head coach Joe Sharrock. "We played disciplined and got good play from our scorers."

The scoring is indeed a strong point for the Rams.  In the last four games, they have outscored their opponents 34-8. Remember this is hockey, not football.

Saturday night was highlighted by spectacular individual play.  Ryan Minor in net did not allow an even strength goal, star Jake McFarland tallied four assists and Tommy Owens and Ryan Lewis tacked on two goals each for the Rams.

"Minor played a great game," Owens said. "The kid is amazing in net."

Despite the impressive score, the game was ridden by penalties.  Six of the ten goals Saturday night came on power plays.

"We've had (penalty) problems before," said defenseman Dan Smith. "We just have to remember to stay composed."

There were twenty-four penalties in all, including a five-minute chance that the Rams capitalized on following a game misconduct to a Utah State player for head butting.

"You're gonna take some heat for penalties," Minor said. "Our key to winning is controlling penalties."

McFarland played well in both games for the Rams, despite adding eight penalty minutes to his four assists.

"The ice seemed to open up," McFarland said. "You get out of life what you put into it."

A couple of the goals for CSU weren't textbook, but they say no matter how it goes in, it's still a goal. 

"Tommy had a couple ugly goals," Sharrock said jokingly following the game.

Ryan Lewis, one of the top scorers for the Rams was denied the hat trick, but got the scoring started on the power play thirteen minutes into the first period. He then cashed in his second goal midway through the following period.

The team will now travel to San Jose State for a contest that will test the Rams.

"It will be a tough one coming up," Sharrock said. "San Jose State should be on par with us."

The next chance to catch the Rams will be Nov. 4 against Metro State before the rivalry game against CU on Nov. 12.

"We're a big, fast team that can keep up with any team in the nation," Owens said.