Authors: Chris Gerken

The Colorado Eagles capped off two impressive wins over the weekend with arguably the most exciting event in ice hockey: the shootout.

Colorado played a rough game against the visiting Odessa Jackalopes Saturday night, a game that quickly became a penalty-fest and an example of poor discipline. The Eagles maintained a dominant offensive pressure throughout the game, more than doubling Odessa's shots in all periods except the second.

After a mostly uneventful overtime, Colorado got down to business quickly in the resulting shootout. Goals from Erik Adams and Matt Derosiers lifted the Eagles to their second win of the regular season. Derosiers slipped a soft shot through the legs of Eric Pfligler to end the game. The Jackalopes were only able to get one goal past goalie Paulo Colaiacovo in the shootout.

Just as in the preseason game last weekend, Colorado was not able to control their emotions. They committed 17 infractions during regulation, allowing Odessa to capitalize four times. Despite having 19 opportunities themselves, the Eagles were only able to convert twice. Colaiacovo earned his second win of the season with a few beautiful saves in overtime to keep Colorado in the hunt. The Eagles won 6-5.

Friday night told a much different story for the Eagles. In front of the 72nd consecutive sellout crowd at the Budweiser Events Center, the Laredo Bucks, last season's runner-up for the President's Cup, returned to Colorado with the hopes of exacting some revenge. It's was not in the cards though – a controlled Eagles team took to the ice, backed by a solid goaltender playing a better season thus far than his predecessor, the Colorado Avalanche-drafted Tyler Weiman.

Eagles team captain Greg Pankewicz set the mood for the rest of the game early with a laser that rocketed past goalie Nathan Grobin and put Colorado on the board. The game remained tight for the remainder of the first, with Laredo matching Colorado closely in shots and offensive pressure.

While Riley Nelson took some steam out of the Bucks midway through the second period with a goal, Nick Warriner got it going for Laredo with a tip-in that barely slipped past Colaiacovo. Adam Stefishen leveled the playing field in the last minute of the period with a goal, sending Colorado into the locker room with a new game on their hands.

Pankewicz took back the lead for good at the halfway point of the third, off a one-timer from linemate Nelson. Chris Hartsburg slapped home a power play goal near the end of the period to seal the deal and lift the Eagles to their first win of the regular season, 4-2.