Straight out of Compton

Authors: Trevor Edy

Robert Herbert. Ring a bell? Well it should. The junior cornerback is currently the leading tackler on the Rams and arguably one of the Mountain West Conference's elite defensive backs.

Herbert transferred from Compton Community College in California two years ago to join Sonny Lubick and his coaching staff. Before he attended Compton Community, Robert played for Dennis Erickson's Oregon State beavers.

"(Erickson) and coach Lubick coached together in Miami before, and that is part of the reason why I chose to come here," Herbert said.

Herbert grew up in the L.A. area and knew what to expect when going back to Compton to attend school.

"People died, people got shot, it was serious. I knew what to expect, I knew where I could go and where I couldn't go," said Herbert, who played against Utah running back Quinton Ganther while attending Compton Community.

"He ran me over one time, but I promised to get him back," said Herbert, who had a bone rattling hit on Ganther two weeks ago. "So I did."

Robert was raised by his single father for the majority of his life and credits his dad for much of his success during his life, which has not always been "a walk in the park."

"It was rough, I moved around a lot so I never really made that many friends, but my dad always made sure he had me on a Pop Warner team, that was really good for me" Herbert said.

Herbert said his inspiration is his younger brother who currently plays defensive back in high school.

"He's my protege," Herbert said.

Herbert grew up with three siblings, two younger brothers and an older sister. His older sister died in a car accident when he was in high school.

Even through all of the rough times, Herbert said he has always kept his head up and focused.

"He's a competitor. He's definitely an emotional leader, you need that," said senior safety Travis Garcia of Herbert.

Herbert's catch phrase, 'Oh boy,' is well known in the locker room, as are all of his antics.

"He's one of the most charismatic guys on the team. Off the field he is always dancing and singing to music, he's always bringing people up," said sophomore running back Kyle Bell. "He's an amazing athlete who really lifts up our defense."

During his free time Rob likes to play Madden and NCAA football '06 on his Play Station 2.

Along with the rest of the Rams, Rob is looking forward to this weekend's boarder war with Wyoming.

"I think we have to get down to business pretty much, I'm looking to get back to the hard hitting Herbert," he said. "I just want to go out and play, no questions."

He may not have had the average upbringing of a CSU student, but he sure is making the best of his time as a Ram. Be sure to be on the look out for No. 6, one of the MWC's best cornerbacks. If you don't know, now you know.

Vitals

Favorite CD: E40's Greatest Hits

Favorite Video Game: Madden '06 for PS2

Height: 6'1''

Weight: 195

High School: Alta Loma