Authors: Aaron Schoonmaker

It's go time for the CSU men's rugby team. With all sights set on making the Western Regional Tournament, they need to win now.

A heartbreaking loss this weekend to CU put a damper on the team's chances, but promising play can hopefully carry over to the upcoming match against Air Force.

"We need to get wins," said president Jacob Silverman. "We really have ourselves to blame, but we're not out of it yet."

When the first eighteen minutes of Saturday's contest went scoreless, the thought was the Rams may be able to pull something off. But the Buffs got on the board twice in the next four minutes and took a 14-0 lead. From there on the Rams had to play catch-up.

Weston Geigle and Jake Humphrey added to scores in the next three minutes, but unconverted tries left CSU trailing 14-10. A penalty kick at the 37-minute mark made the score 19-13 at half and gave a sense of momentum that Rams fans hoped would carry over.

"We found some areas where we could exploit them and got some fresh legs in the game," said Blake Stevens, the general manager. "We needed to do better getting back on the defensive after a good drive."

CU came out of halftime slowly, but added a score at the 16-minute mark to get a 26-13 lead to create the uphill battle for the Rams.

CSU responded with two more scores but managed to convert only one of the tries and still trailed 26-25. The other try was controversially waived as it sailed over the upright.

"The ball hit the light post behind the upright," said coach Matt Hofmeister. "I don't think there's any way it could have not gone through and hit that."

But the old cliche "games are not lost on one play" may have proven to be more the case for the Rams Sunday.

"When you look back it's one of those things where we wish we would have just played a little better," Stevens said. "There were a hundred different plays in the game that could have gone our way and just didn't."

The exciting moments of the game came as time was expiring. Freshman Tom Martin was all but home for the winning score when he was ran down from behind. As the ball rolled out of bounds the whistle was sounded, signaling a tough loss for the Rams.

On a brighter note, the B-side won again in convincing fashion and are doing very well this season with wins over CU and Wyoming. A 29-5 trouncing improved the B-side's record to 4-1 against collegiate foes.