Volleyball controls Tech

Authors: Paul Baker

A crowd of 1,300 saw the Rams hit a season high .347 as a team this weekend, as CSU volleyball dominated the Red Raiders of Texas Tech in three games, 30-22, 30-17 and 30-20.

The Rams were led by freshman middle blocker Mekana Barnes, who tied a career high with 12 kills. Barnes was unstoppable as she hit .474 for the match with only three hitting errors on the day. Barnes also did it from the net, as she recorded a team high six blocks.

"Mekana and Ashley (Fornstrom) won the game for us, they were a huge factor," said head coach Tom Hilbert in a press release after the game. "When they connect like that it takes a lot of pressure off our outside hitters.

Freshman setter Fornstrom recorded a career high three services aces and four blocks, as she also had 39 assists on the afternoon.

The three seniors on the team, Casey Bauer, Tess Rogers and Dre Downs, each notched nine kills on the night. Rogers had a great night swinging as she had no errors on 20 attempts, hitting .450 on the day.

"To see Tess have a match with no hitting errors is phenomenal," Hilbert said. "We worked really hard this week on setting location and Ashley did a great job."

The Rams didn't allow Texas Tech to have a service ace Saturday, which marked the first time it happened this season and the first time it has happened since the Rams played Idaho Nov. 20, 2004. The Rams recorded nine service aces on the night led by Fornstrom. Bauer and Downs chipped in with two each, while juniors Katherine Whitney and Brittany Fornstrom each had one.

"We did serve and pass very well today and that reflected in our hitting percentage and distribution," Hilbert said.

Texas Tech was led by outside hitter Philister Sang who had nine kills on the afternoon. The Rams held her to just .080 hitting percentage. Libero Desiree Batista led the match with 13 digs, while middle blocker Brianna Florus tied for a match high with six blocks.

The Rams came out in game one and only gave up the lead twice, as they pulled away in final parts of the game. In the second game, the Rams led for the start and never looked back as they showed the power they have in their offense. Game three was close at the beginning going back and forth, but not in the end.

CSU is now 11-4 on the season, and now prepares for a four-game Mountain West Conference road trip starting next weekend at the Air Force Academy and the University of New Mexico.