Authors: Sarah Mast

Five years ago, freshmen found themselves attending required freshmen seminars teaching them how to transition to their new home away from home.

Required seminars received mixed reviews, however, so there was a call for change.

Jody Donovan, director of Student Transitions and Parent and Family Programs, organized new freshmen transition workshops designed to teach first year students helpful information to enable a smooth transition into college life.

"Freshmen seminars are a way for students to transition to college more easily," said Keith Lopez, graduate assistant for Student Transitions and Parent and Family Programs.

The workshops are in their third semester of use and are optional.

Seminars cover a variety of topics from healthy eating to learning to having successful, healthy relationships.

"Topics were chosen based on student input," Lopez said.

Donovan said the most popular seminars so far have been spring registration and financial aid.

Information on when and where each seminar will be held can be found on posters throughout all the residence halls and through e-mails sent out by Lopez on a weekly basis.

Faculty members, who are well educated and interested in the areas addressed, lead the seminars. Workshops are held twice to provide students more opportunities to attend.

Upcoming workshops include "Communication: You Have to Do it so Why Not Do it Well?" on Oct. 17 and "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Defining Healthy Relationships for Yourself as a Man" on Oct. 18.

The communication workshop, led by Shay Bright, is a way for students to learn to recognize their strengths and weaknesses and learn how to work more comfortably with others.

The seminar about healthy relationships was designed for men to allow them to meet new people and teach them about the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships.

"I think the freshmen seminars are a great idea because it gives students a chance to learn more about topics that interest them and allows them to feel more comfortable in their surroundings," said Monica Williams, a freshman business administration major.

For more information on upcoming seminars, look for flyers posted around the residence halls or contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs at 491-5312.

Breakout box:

Upcoming seminars:

"Communication: You Have to Do it so Why Not Do it Well?" at 3 p.m. on Oct. 17 in the Lory Student Center, room 208

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Defining Healthy Relationships for Yourself as a Man" at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 18 in the LSC, room 203

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Defining Healthy Relationships for Yourself as a Woman" at 3 p.m. on Oct. 20 in the LSC, room 220

"Fitness for Academic Success" at 4:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 in the Student Recreation Center Lounge

"Getting to know the library" at 5 p.m. on Oct. 25 in Morgan Library, Electronic Information Lab-1