Free the north end zone

Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

Two things have been consistent through CSU's first two home football games: a full student section and a nearly empty north end zone. This week, the student tickets had disappeared by Wednesday morning and thousands were left disappointed and locked out of Saturday's homecoming game against Utah.

While the game appears to be headed towards a complete sellout, this policy of limiting student tickets is unfair to the team's greatest supporters-the students. Against Nevada and Air Force the student sections were packed and loud, while the west and north ends were lacking in attendance and enthusiasm. Now that the school has decided to drop ticket prices for the Homecoming game, the rest of the stadium may finally match the student section. Instead of lowering these ticket prices, the university should have offered up the north end zone to the locked-out students first. For future games, students with a CSU ID should be allowed to fill the north end of the stadium free of charge.

All students pay fees to provide them with tickets and should therefore be allowed to pick up tickets if there are seats still available in the stadium. For reasons beyond us, the university seems to prefer a sparsely populated stadium over one packed with a loud, enthusiastic student section.

CSU is denying themselves extra money from concession sales by keeping the students out. Even worse, we are shortchanging the Rams the home field advantage they deserve.