Authors: James Baetke

A chess master charged with molesting two boys will hold off his appearance in court for more than a month so his lawyer has time to absorb thousands of pages of documents.

It was revealed in district court Thursday that the defense counsel for Robert Snyder is in possession of at least 42 CDs containing the entire case for the prosecution against the Olympian chess player.

"They have to give the defense counsel a chance to digest the information," said Edward Huttner , Snyder's attorney.

Police say Snyder molested two boys, who were 11 and 13 at the time of the alleged incident, at his summer chess camps. After spending 15 days in jail, Snyder posted bail days after his bond was reduced and was eventually released from jail on Sept. 17.

Huttner said he needs time to synthesize the evidence presented by the prosecution, including DNA, and insists it is hard to juggle information coming from different police jurisdictions.

Larimer County District Judge James Hiatt set Snyder's next court date for Nov. 17, calling his decision an "exception, not the rule" because of the "serious charges."

It is unclear what Huttner means by multiple jurisdictions, but police say the charges against Snyder only happened in Fort Collins.

Linda Jensen, spokeswoman for the Larimer County District Attorney could not reveal details of the case, "There is a gag order in this case, so I cannot comment."

Hiatt ordered prosecutors to determine whether they should readily return three computers and a personal journal belonging to Snyder. Prosecutors fear the computers may potentially have vital evidence on them.

They have until Oct. 14 to make a decision.

Huttner also said in court that one of the allegations dates back to several years ago, but Lt. Hal Dean of Fort Collins Police Services told the Collegian that investigators have been working on the case for just over one year.

Dean said no other children have come forward since the allegations and that no other allegations from different jurisdictions were being conducted.