BYU to tough for Rams

Authors: aul Baker

The No.16 ranked Cougars of BYU came into Moby and stole a win from the Rams 32-30, 32-30, 30-26, in front of 2,600 people Friday night.

The Rams played BYU tough through the first two games but couldn’t convert when they needed to.

“I thought that there were times where we competed and there were times that we could have pushed a bit harder,” senior Casey Bauer said about the tempo of the match.

The Cougars were led by outside hitter Chelsea Goodman and preseason Co-Player of the year Lindsy Hartsock, who had 14 and 11 kills respectively.

The Rams were paced by seniors Tess Rogers and Bauer. Rogers had a team-high 13 kills, while Bauer had 10 kills, 11 digs and five blocks in the match.

The Rams have had both of their outside hitters notch double digit kills in every match except for one this year.

Senior middle blocker Dre Downs had another good match blocking the ball as she recorded eight for the night. Downs has had at least seven blocks in every conference match this year.

“We lost the tempo in our offense tonight,” head coach Tom Hilbert said.

“This year BYU is a lot more mature, and that means they are a lot harder to come back on.

The Rams have a day of rest before taking on Utah this Sunday. The Utes won their match Friday against Wyoming in four games. The match is set for 4 p.m.