Authors: Brett Okamoto

Check out our photo slide show of  CSU vs Air Force Academy

They're still picking up the bruised and battered players off the field.

Sophomore running back Kyle Bell has developed his own way of looking at running the football.

Why try to run around them, when you can run through them?

Bell rushed for a career-best 197 yards, Justin Holland threw for another 318, and the Rams are 1-0 in Mountain West Conference play after annihilating Air Force 41-23.

"You're always pleased after a win, it's a lot more fun," said head coach Sonny Lubick.

While in sports you always try to focus on what needs to get better from week to week, the Rams really can't be disappointed with any aspect of their play Thursday night.

Kyle Bell silenced any dispute of who is the team's premier back, following his 183-yard performance against Nevada Saturday, with his three-touchdown masterpiece.

"You can't say enough about Kyle Bell, we're just so happy for him," said Lubick of his new star back. "He could go out and run another quarter, he's such a conditioned young man. I'd like to take the credit, but he's made himself the player he is."

Bell didn't get many opportunities last year as a freshman, but has been waiting for this chance to follow up on an outstanding high school career where he set the Colorado career rushing record.

"I knew I was capable of this it's just a matter of going out and doing it," said Bell. "It's just a credit to how hard we've all been working."

With the running game established like it hasn't been in years Justin Holland was free to pick apart a defense for the second week in a row. He finished the night completing 17 of his 26 passes, spreading the love out to five different receivers.

Senior David Anderson hauled in seven passes for 105 yards and two consecutive touchdowns in the third quarter that put the Rams up for good after the game had already seen five lead changes.

The big surprise of the night however came in the form of sophomore Luke Roberts who torched the Falcons for 123 yards and one touchdown.

"Luke Roberts is as good as they get," said Lubick. "Coaches want to say he doesn't have the speed, but after he catches it if he can't run by people he runs over them."

With the offense scoring at will on the Falcons, the defense wasn't about to be showed up by their teammates.

The Rams forced two fumbles in the Falcons' first three plays and allowed the offense to convert on only three out of 14 third-down situations. The Falcons' air attack, which had been hyped for days before this showdown, was non-existent for the most part as the Rams held the Falcons to 130 yards passing, including a third quarter where the Falcons failed to pick up a single yard in the air.

"We came out and said we needed to get the offense the ball so they could execute and we did what we said we could do," said junior cornerback Robert Herbert about the fumbles that led to an early Ram lead.

The Falcons were unable to score a touchdown in the first half, a feat that hasn't been accomplished by the Rams since 1999.

For a team who came into this matchup last in the MWC in scoring defense, Thursday night was just what everyone needed to see.

"I think we give the offense confidence [when we play like this]," said Herbert. "I think they see that and feed off of us."

The Rams will face last year's MWC champion, the Utah Utes, 4:30 p.m. Saturday back at Sonny Lubick Field and hope to extend their home game-winning streak.

"We have to stay together and just keep going now," said Lubick.