Authors: Dominic Graziano

The Bouncing Souls have been touring for as long as I can remember – literally. Since their inception in 1987, they have been on the road. Normally they don't venture too far from the East Coast, but this year Denver was lucky enough to see the guys pack for a longer trip.

When I pulled up to The Gothic Theatre there was already a line of people down the block, all waiting for the doors to open and the show to begin.

As usual, a local band opened the show. Dr. Neptune, one of Denver's finest, got the crowd moving around and ready to rock. Even through their lead singer's crazy antics, the band managed to keep the music fast, yet coherent.

The Loved Ones were up next. This Philadelphia three-piece lost a little of the energy the previous band had started. They strayed a bit from the harder punk styling of Dr. Neptune, which was a small relief, because I don't think the mosh pit would have held up through three intense bands in a row.

The Street Dogs started the second half of the concert. This band reminded me a lot of Dropkick Murphys, with less of an Irish influence. The lead singer had a lot of energy, getting the crowd clapping along to almost every song in the set. He dared to climb up onto a speaker, much to the chagrin of The Gothic's staff.

After The Street Dogs left the stage, I made an attempt to move onto the dance floor to get a closer spot for the Bouncing Souls' performance. Usually the dance floor empties out after each set. This time all the punk kids didn't move in anticipation for the band to take the stage.

As the roadies set up, screams of "Ole, ole ole ole" could be heard from the crowd, just a small taste of the excitement from mosh pit. When the band took the stage, after what seemed like an eternity, they launched into their set.

Everyone was singing along, making up words when necessary, but all the while screaming along with the lead singer. Standing there, among hundreds of people, I could feel the energy flowing through the crowd, pulsing like a beating heart as I was pushed back and forth to the beat of the music.

As their set came to an end, the Souls made sure to end things on a good note, finishing with "True Believers," a song about all the fans the band has met on the road. As the song came to an end, the crowd sang the lyrics as the lead singer just stood there and smiled.

Dominic Graziano is a sophomore technical journalism major. His column will run every time a good band comes Colorado.